Familiars and Companions
Main Game Concept, Journeys in the Dark
I - Rules
(see JITD, p. 14; FAQ, p. 4)
Familiars and Companions are not the same in terms of definition and in terms of rules. Is it not stated clearly but familiars are "magical" beings while companions are "non-magical animals".
Familiars obey the following rules.
- Familiars are represented by markers. The marker representing a familiar begins the game in the same space as the familiar's owner.
- Familiars move after their owner's turn is finished. They move up to a number of spaces equal to their speed, which is listed in their description.
- Familiars move like heroes, except that they can move through enemy figures and can end their movement in the same space as another figure.
- Familiars may occupy the same space as another figure, and figures may move through and trace lines of sight through familiars.
- Familiars cannot carry any items or perform any movement actions unless their description states otherwise.
- Familiars do not count as a hero for purposes of spawning monsters unless their description states otherwise.
- Familiars cannot be affected by any attack or harmed in any way.
- Familiars cannot jump over pits or use glyphs of transport.
The following Familiars can be granted by skill cards, heroes or treasures:
- Boggs the Rat
- Bottle Imp
- Furr the Spirit Wolf
- Mata and Kata the Ferrets
- Sharr the Brightwing
- Shadow Soul
- Skye the Falcon
The following Companions can be granted by skill cards or a hero: